Easy chilli con carne
- 500g beef mince
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed in a sieve
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup beef stock
In a pan, fry the meat in the olive oil. Break up the lumps of meat as you go. Add the onion, chilli and garlic and cook until well browned stirring regularly.
Stir through sugar, tomatoes and tomato paste with the beef stock.
Simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on. Stir occasionally to make sure the mixture is not catching on the pan.
Add the beans, oregano, and cumin and simmer with lid off for around 10 minutes. Add more beef stock or water if needed and stir regularly until the mixture looks thick and juicy.
Season with salt and pepper and leave to stand with the lid on for 10 minutes.
Related fast dinners recipes
- Beef and glass noodle stirfry
- French omelette
- Easy lamb koftas
- Fettucine alfredo
- Spaghetti with tuna and olives
- Chicken and sweet corn soup
- Chicken wraps
- Steak sandwich
- Gnocchi with tomato and basil
- You can add more crushed chilli if you like this dish super-spicy. 1 tsp is enough for a little kick and I would only add a touch if children were having it.
- This a great meal to have on standby in the fridge and perfect cold weather food. I like to serve it with toasted cornchips to scoop it up with and some sour cream to cool the heat.
- This Easy chilli con carne recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot , New Zealand’s best recipe finder.