The homemade sizzler’s cheese toast is a different spin on normal cheese on toast. It’s crunchy and can be frozen and served up later as a quick snack.
- 6 x 2cm thick slices white bread, frozen
- 200g butter, softened
- 100g grated parmesan cheese
- cooking spray
In a bowl mix the butter and parmesan cheese together until smooth and well combined.
Spread a thick coating of the butter mixture on the bread (one side only).
Return to the freezer.
Heat a frying pan to medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Put the cheese toast into the pan, butter side down and cook until the bread on the top side is defrosted and the face side is golden.
- These slabs of bread have to be really thick so I suggest that you buy a milk block loaf and cut your own slices.
- You will need to places sheets of baking paper between layers of bread in the fridge so they don’t stick together.
- I used the processed powdery type grated parmesan cheese that you find with the pasta sauces at the supermarket.
- Freezing the bread initially and then re-freezing it before cooking is an essential part of making sure this cheesey bread tastes authentic. If you skip either step the bread may burn and the end product won’t work.
- I used a non-stick pan for this recipe. If you oil the pan with anything other than a neutral flavoured cooking spray it will affect the taste.
Find more After school snacks
- Buttermilk scones
- Choc chip scones
- Hot cross buns
- Corn pikelets
- Gluten-free pikelets
- Pikelets with chocolate sauce
- Veggie pikelets
- Cinnamon tea cake
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand