Kill a kilo soup
- 3 medium brown onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small cabbage (or half of a large cabbage)
- 1 bunch celery, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 tin (800g) diced tomatoes
- 1pkt (40g) French onion soup mix
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
Step 1. Gather all ingredient and the largest soup pot you have. Place the onions and garlic into the pot, over medium heat and sweat for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add the rest of the ingredients.
Step 2. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low.
Step 3. Simmer for 2-3 hours.
Step 4. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Store in the refrigerator when cooled. Will last 3-5 days.
- You can garnish this soup with some parsley or even top with a little parmesan cheese.
- If you find this soup a bit watery then you can remove half and blend it until smooth and then place it back into the rest of the soup.
- This soup will last 3-5 days refrigerated. You can freeze portions for up to 8 weeks.
- This Barley and vegetable soup has a bit more substance to it with the addition of barley. It's a great grain to add to your soup and very tasty and filling.
- If you need a bit more flavour and protein then you can make this Beef and carrot soup.
- This Chunky vegetable soup with chickpeas is a meal in a bowl and great for a take-to-school or work lunch.
- If you like pasta in your soup then you can make this Chicken noodle soup .
- If you like spicy sausage then this Chorizo and sweet potato soup is packed full of flavour and even the kids will love its kick.
- When you find mushrooms on sale then this Creamy mushroom soup is a great winter staple.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.