Pumpkin and chickpea curry
- 1/3 pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp peanut or rice bran oil
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 green shallots, chopped
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- 1 x 400g can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
Toss pumpkin in 1 tablespoon oil and roast on baking paper on a baking tray until golden and tender.
Bring chicken stock to the boil in a small saucepan. Turn off heat, add couscous and cover with a lid.
Heat remaining oil in a heavy based pan. Saute garlic and shallots until soft. Add red curry paste and fry over a medium heat for 1 minute. Add chickpeas and coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes. Add pumpkin and stir to combine.
Fluff couscous with a fork.
Serve curry on couscous, sprinkled with coriander.
Find more curry recipes
- Beef and pumpkin curry
- Fish curry
- Green chicken curry
- Lamb curry
- Massaman curry
- Quick vegetable curry
- Slow cooker butter chicken
- Slow cooker lamb curry
- Thai red chicken curry
- Thai vegetable curry
- Gentle lamb and apple curry
- If you don’t want to oven roast the pumpkin, you can dice it and add it in with the other ingredients to simmer until tender.
- You can serve this with jasmine rice instead of couscous if you prefer.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.