Raspberry Surprise Muffins
Gluten-free (see note), nut free
- 2 cups self raising flour (or gluten-free flour)
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80mL) oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 12 squares good-quality dark chocolate
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease muffin trays or place paper cases in muffin tray.
Sift flour into large mixing bowl, add caster sugar. In a glass jug, measure out oil (to 1/3 cup), add milk (up to 11/3 cup) and eggs, and whisk to combine.
Pour liquid into dry ingredients and mix until just combined (I use my fabulous red Kitchen Aid mixer for this). Carefully stir in raspberries.
Spoon mixture into paper cases and push a square of chocolate into the top of each muffin.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
- You don’t need to push the chocolate all the way in, the cake rises around it.
- I usually have to make raspberry-free muffins for Number One son.
- Spoon out enough batter for a few plain boring ones before stirring in the raspberries.
- I often substitute the raspberries with banana (and he doesn’t know!)
- Make muffins gluten free by using gluten free plain flour and 4 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder.