Slow-roasted beetroot with goatsåÕ cheese and pine nuts
- 2 bunches, or 700g beetroot, tops removed, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 small unpeeled cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons goats cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
Preheat oven to 180C.
In a large mixing bowl, toss beetroot with olive oil, salt, and garlic cloves.
Place in a heavy based, oven proof saucepan and roast, uncovered for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and flip the beetroot pieces over with a fork. Return to oven and continue to roast for another 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and crumble cheese over the beetroot and sprinkle with pine nuts, then cook another ten minutes.
Serve immediately as a main dish over instant polenta or as a side dish.
- If you don’t have a cast iron or heavy-based saucepan, you can use a roasting pan or dish as well.
- You can use feta cheese as well if you don’t like goats cheese.
- You can also use toasted walnuts instead.
This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
- Roast beef
- Roasted vegetable stack with tomato relish
- Warm beetroot, zucchini and quinoa salad
- Beetroot chips