Spinach feta slice
- Large bunch spinach leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g feta
- 125g cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 free range eggs
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- Olive oil spray (or olive oil to brush on)
Wash spinach and dry in a lettuce spinner.
I had to spin dry in three batches, even with a largish spinner.
Remove spinach stalks and discard, shred leaves finely.
Combine spinach and onion in a large colander and sit for 1 hour to drain.
Preheat oven to 180C.
Butter a deep rectangular dish (mine was 26cm x 32cm, but a slightly smaller one would be fine).
Add crumbled feta and cheddar cheese to the spinach mix and mix well.
This will be testing your colanders volume capacity to the limit if you have a small colander, perhaps transfer to a large bowl to mix.
Place four filo sheets on the bottom of the dish, spraying oil between sheets.
Press spinach mixture into dish.
Beat eggs with a whisk in a small bowl until frothy, pour evenly over spinach.
Cover with remaining filo sheets, spraying oil between sheets and on top sheet.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until lightly browned.
- A wonderfully crunchy, cheesy pie even my kids will eat the green bits
- I buy the 375g box of filo sheets in the refrigerator section of the supermarket. You will have heaps left!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.