Tomato and bacon soup
- 1kg roma tomatoes, halved 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 rashers bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup (250mL) chicken stock (gluten free)
Preheat the oven to 150°C.
Line a tray with baking paper.
Lay tomatoes on baking paper cut side up, brush with one teaspoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Roast for 1 hour. Heat remaining teaspoon of olive oil in large fry pan or stock pot, add onion, garlic and bacon and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until onion softened.
Add roasted tomatoes and stock, season well with salt and pepper.
Puree with a stab mixer or in a blender, adding more stock if the mixture is too thick.
Serve with crusty bread (or gluten-free toast).
- I have recreated this hearty soup from memory: a cold winter’s day in Tasmania; a Ladies Day with my mother-in-law, sister-in-law and little girl.
- Not only does it have a rich tomato flavour, it brings back many happy memories!
- For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon, roast pieces of capsicum with the tomatoes and use vegetable stock.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.