- 125g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 2 eggs (60grams), beaten
- 1 cup (approx. 2 large) ripe bananas, mashed
- 5 drops vanilla
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Butter and line a square cake tin.
Cream butter and suar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, bananas and vanilla
Sift the dry ingredients together.
Mix together the milk and lemon juice.
Alternatng, add the dry ingredients and the milk, beating between each addition.
Bake in the oven for approximately 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
Rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- This banana cake has bee proclaimed the BEST cake ever by the toughest judges around – a group of 11-year old girls.
- Thanks to Stephanie Alexander for giving the world this wonderful but super-easy cake recipe.
- Delicious cool, this cake is even better (in my humble opinion!) still warm from the oven – it has a fantastic caramel-y flavour that is lip-smackingly good.
- The ripeness of the bananas has a direct impact on the banana-iness of this cake.
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.