How to cook quinoa
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups water or stock
Step1. Rinse quinoa under cold water.
Step 2. Place in frying pan over a low-medium heat and toast for 5-7 minutes.
Step 3. Place in a saucepan and cover with water or stock. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Step 4. Use a fork to fluff up the cooked quinoa and separate the grains.
More salad recipes
- Find more easy quick dinner ideas
- Summer steak with tomato salad
- Chickpea salad
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Greek salad
- Warm chicken salad
- Asian salmon salad
- BBQ chicken salad
- Creamy potato salad
- Baby Caprese salad
- Lamb, pumpkin and chickpea salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad
- Pasta salad
- Toasting quinoa gives it a delicious nutty flavour but I skip this step (Step 2.) when I am short on time.
- You can also cook quinoa in the microwave. Just place it in a microwave safe dish with a lid (from Step 3.) and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Quinoa seeds are covered with a substance called saponin. You need to rinse quinoa thoroughly before cooking to remove this. Most quinoa is pre-rinsed but you should always rinse it to be sure.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.