- 450g apples, peeled, cored and sliced.
- 1 tblsp sugar
- 2 tblsp water
- Rind and juice of 1 orange or lemon
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
Preheat oven to 150’C.
Place apples, sugar and water in a saucepan, simmer over low heat for approximately 10-15 minutes until apples are soft.
You will only need to stir once or twice during that time.
Remove from heat and pour into greased casserole or souffle dish to cool. Set aside. When cooled, add egg yolks, rind and juice.
Beat egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Whist continuing to beat, add caster sugar gradually until combined. Beat further until egg whites have reached stiff peaks – meringue.
Pour or pipe meringue onto the apples mixture, smooth or swirl as desired.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
Related apple recipes:
- Bramley, Red Delicious and Pink Lady apple varieties are perfect for this dish as they are sweet and counteract the tartness of the lemon or orange.
- Serve as soon as you have removed from oven as meringue will be high and fluffy, as it is exposed to cool air the meringue will fall – although it will still taste good
- Feel free to substitute apples with pears!
- This is Moira Gillard’s recipe – adapted by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.