Cheese and vegemite scrolls
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup wholemeal flour
- 80g butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Vegemite, heaped (or Marmite)
- 1 tablespoon milk
Cheese and vegemite scrolls recipe
Preheat oven to 200°C.
In a medium bowl, combine both flours and butter.
Using your fingertips, rub the butter through the flours until you have a breadcrumb consistency, then add ¾ of the cheese combination and milk and work into a dough ball with your hands.
When these ingredients are combined, lightly flour your kitchen bench and gently push the dough out into a rectangle, approx 1 cm in depth.
Spread Vegemite evenly over the top of the dough and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Roll the dough into a long rope shape, rolling it away from you. When you have a rope of dough cut it into eight equal rounds and place them on a lined baking tray.
Brush with milk.
Bake for 20 minutes then remove from oven and cook on wire rack.
- If you don’t have wholemeal flour then use all white, just pour the milk in gradually as you might not need it all.
- With any dough, try and be as gentle as possible and kneed it only as much as it needs to prevent the dough being tough.
- These freeze really well and will hold up in a lunch box rain, hail, and shine.
- My three year-old loves to help spread and sprinkle these.
- These are great at stopping afternoon tummy rumbles!
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.