Chewy Anzac biscuits
- 2 cup plain flour
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 tbs golden syrup
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbs boiling water
Preheat fan-forced oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Lay baking paper over the biscuit trays ready to go.
Sift the flour and then put the flour, oats, coconut and brown sugar into the mixing bowl and stir well with a wooden spoon. Smash out any lumps in the brown sugar.
Put the butter and golden syrup in the saucepan over low heat, stir regularly with a wooden spoon until melted through. Remove from heat.
Mix the baking soda and water together and add to the butter mixture in the saucepan. It will bubble and froth. Quickly add the frothy mixture to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix everything together really well.
Roll the mixture into balls about 2cm round. Place on the biscuit trays roughly 5cm apart. Wash and dry your hands and then flatten down the balls well.
Put into the oven for about 10 minutes. Remove and cool on wire racks.
Find more biscuit and cookie recipes.
- Anzac biscuits
- Double chocolate biscuits
- Coconut bran biscuits
- Funny face biscuits
- Jelly biscuits
- Jam drop biscuits
- Kiss biscuits
- Milo biscuits
- Muesli biscuits
- White chocolate and cranberry biscuits
- Yo-yo biscuits
- Bake longer if you prefer your biscuits to be less chewy.
- Make sure the biscuits are spaced well apart or they'll end up being one giant version in the oven.
- This recipe was created by Maxabella for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.