These cheese and zucchini scones are a tasty solution if you are looking for an alternative to a savoury roll and they are really easy to make! You can fill them with your favourite deli meats and condiments.
Cheese and zucchini scones
- 1 zucchini coarsely grated
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup tasty cheese grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk see notes
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Wrap the grated zucchini in a paper towel or clean cloth and squeeze out all the liquid.
- Place into a bowl with the flour, the tasty and parmesan cheese, spring onion and salt. Mix together well, so that all the cheese is well coated in the flour and the strands are separated.
- Pour the buttermilk into the bowl and use a spatula to fold the mixture together.
- Place on a surface that is dusted with flour and lightly knead. Pat out into a 2cm thick circle.
- Take a large scone cutter dipped into flour and cut 10 scones. Fold the dough together and pat out again to cut another round of scones. If you don't have a cheese cutter shape into a rectangle and cut into 10 squares. Fold the dough together and pat out again to cut another round of scones.
- Place on the tray so that each scone is touching the next and they are all joined up.
- Brush the tops with a little buttermilk and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Optional: Split and fill with fresh leg ham and homemade chutney.
If you don't have any buttermilk, you add a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk and leave to sit for around ten minutes until it thickens.