Chicken, tomato and spinach curry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, sliced
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 x 250g packet frozen spinach
- rice to serve
Heat the olive oil in a casserole dish on medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft.
Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for another couple of minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the chicken and cook until the chicken is just beginning to colour, about 3 minutes.
Pour in diced tomatoes, give everything a good stir, open the packet of spinach and place the frozen block right on top of the chicken. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
The spinach will have well and truly defrosted by now so after this time you can just gently stir it through. Serve with steamed rice, warmed naan bread or pappadums.
- Cooking the spices in this recipe until they are fragrant will ensure you get the full flavour from them.
- You can serve this with some nice cucumber raita as a fresh side dish.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.