Chocolate raspberry trifle
- 1 bought prepared chocolate sponge or chocolate sponge recipe
- 1 cup (250mL) prepared chocolate custard
- 1 packet raspberry jelly
- 1 cup frozen or fresh raspberries, extra for garnishing
- half a cup thick cream
Dissolve jelly in 300mL boiling water and top up to 500mL with cold water. Stir in raspberries and refrigerate until set.
Cut sponge into pieces that will fit into individual serving glasses. Place 2-3 pieces of sponge into each glass. Spoon in a layer of raspberry jelly, then a layer of custard and finish with another layer of sponge. Top with some cream and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Just before serving, top with extra raspberries.
- The raspberries will float to the top of the jelly, so if you kids dont do fruit you can use the bottom layer of the jelly.
- As fate would have it, I could not find a chocolate sponge or chocolate custard when I went to the supermarket. Find a recipe for chocolate sponge here and to make chocolate custard, I dissolved 4 teaspoons of cocoa in some hot water until it was a smooth paste, then stirred it into some vanilla custard (Pauls premium custard is superb).
- Make this gluten free using my gluten free flour.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.