Easy chicken soup
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, diced
- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 cup coriander, finely chopped
- Turkish bread, to serve
Dice the chicken thigh fillets and set aside.
Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan and cook the onion for five minutes, or until soft and translucent.
Add the spices and chicken and cook for another minute or so.
Add the tomatoes, chickpeas and stock, bring to the boil and reduce heat to a gentle simmer for about 25 minutes.
Stir through the coriander and serve with warmed Turkish bread.
- You can make this with diced lamb or leave meat out entirely and add a few more pulses.
- It is best to use thigh fillets for this recipe as they impart a lot more chicken flavour than chicken breast.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find more soup recipes:
- Chicken noodle soup
- Thai lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Potato and leek soup
- Split pea and vegetable soup
- Katie’s chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Lentil and lemon soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Carrot and cumin soup recipe
- Tomato soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe