Easy salted caramel and banana cups
- 1/3 cup butter (cubed)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 banana (sliced, small)
- 1 packet popcorn (lightly salted)
Combine butter, sugar, golden syrup and cream in a small, heavy-based saucepan.
Stir over medium heat until the butter is melted and mixture is a smooth consistency – do not allow to boil. Reduce heat and leave to simmer, for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir through the salt. Remove from heat and set aside to thicken for 20 minutes.
Once the sauce has cooled and thickened, dollop a tablespoon or two into the bottom of serving cups or glasses, then arrange banana slices, top with popcorn and to finish off drizzle over some more caramel sauce.
Find more delicious dessert recipes
- Mango cheesecake with passionfruit sauce
- Chocolate bar icecream cake
- Chocolate mousse
- Meringue baskets
- Creamy mango ice-cream
- Banana split tarts
- If making ahead to serve later, transfer the caramel sauce into a storage jar or tub and keep chilled. It stays spreadable even in the fridge but can be brought back to pouring consistency left out for 10 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can pour the first layer of caramel into your serving glasses and refrigerate these to cut prep time when ready to serve.
- This recipe was created by Katie Rainbird for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.