Gnocchi with brown butter and sage
- 1 pkt gnocchi or homemade gnocchi
- 125 g butter
- 30 sage leaves
Cook the gnocchi to the packet directions and set aside in a warm place.
In a fry pan melt the butter and add the sage leaves. The butter will start to foam and this is when to add the sage leaves.
Toss the gnocchi to coat in the butter and turn the heat OFF! It keeps cooking after you remove the heat so serve it immediately before the butter goes from golden brown to burn’t.
- I like to serve this in tiny bowls as a starter for winter dinner parties. It cooks ultra-fast and makes a very sophisticated little dish with a minimum of effort. Make sure you have everyone seated before the butter hits the pan.
- When making gnocchi I place the whole quantity into boiling water and stand by and remove all them as they float to the surface. If you cook them anymore they resemble rubber bullets.
- The crispy sage leaves I use as a little garnish, so it’s a minimum effort dish.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.