Healthy mushroom stroganoff
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp light margarine/butter
- 600g field mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
Heat oil and butter in a large non-stick frying pan, on medium-high heat.
Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook for 10 minutes or until onions have softened and mushrooms are wilting and fragrant.
Stir through sage and thyme, and season well with salt and pepper.
Then add flour, and stir to combine. Cook for a minute before slowly adding stock and tomato paste. Mix to combine.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
Add sour cream and parsley, and stir. Cook for a further 2 minutes, or until well combined.
Serve on a bed of pasta with a side of salad.
- If you don't have wholemeal flour, you can use plain white flour instead.
- The parsley can be sprinkled on indiviual dishes at the end, if not everyone likes it.
- If you love mushrooms, you must try this yummy Mushroom and spinach frittata. It's SO tasty for a dish that is so healthy.
- This Creamy mushroom soup is a meal all on its own – just add a slice of crusty bread!
- For a perfect lunch or light dinner, this Chicken and mushroom quiche will be popular with the whole family.
- Healthy family dinners can be a bit hit and miss, but serve this Healthy beef and mushroom pie for a real dinner winner!
- Mushrooms can turn a boring meal into something really special, this delish Steak with creamy mushroom sauce is just what we mean.
- This Barbecue chicken and mushroom pizza promises beautiful smokey flavours that you'll find irresistible.
- Packed full of goodness, this Creamy mushroom meatballs recipe just needs to be tried. You'll be hooked with your first bite!
- This Mushroom ragout with creamy polenta is impressive enough to serve at your next dinner party.
- Pop these Rocket and mushroom pies in the kids' lunch boxes, and they'll be begging you for more. So tasty.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie.