Honeyed chipolatas with tomato and ginger jam
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 onions, diced
- 1/4 cup ginger, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1kg chipolata sausages
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
To make the jam, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat; add tomato, onion, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring regularly for about 5 minutes. Add the red wine vinegar and brown sugar and cook for about 35 minutes. Season to taste.
While the jam is cooking, preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Place sausages in a baking tray lined with baking paper, mix remaining ingredients together and then pour over the sausages. Bake for about 25 minutes.
- I often turn to this recipe when we have friends over for an early dinner and have to serve a toddler’s setting before the adults sit down to eat. It’s also a hit for parties when you want to serve something fairly substantial with drinks. Everyone seems happy to have these sausages and jam together in a nice bread roll, plus, everything is done in advance so all you have to do is put the oven on.
- Lining the baking tray with paper will give you a quick wash up.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find related sausage recipes
- Bangers and mash
- Chevaps and roasted vegetable salad
- Creamy curried sausages
- Garlic mushrooms, tomatoes and chipolatas
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Sausage and mushroom pasta