Lemon loaf with lemon syrup
- 250g raw sugar
- 3 free range eggs
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 cups (300g) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 cup (250ml) full cream milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g butter, melted
- juice of both lemons zested for the batter
- 50g raw sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line a loaf pan (22cm x 11cm).
Place sugar, eggs and lemon zest together in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until well combined and pale and smooth.
In a separate bowl sift the flour. In a smaller bowl mix the milk with the vanilla.
Add a third each of the flour and milk mixtures into the sugar/egg mixture and beat through, then repeat twice more, beating well with each addition.
Finally beat through the melted butter until well mixed.
Transfer batter to the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
For the syrup, combine lemon juice, sugar and water in a small saucepan, bring to the boil then simmer until reduced by half.
Once the loaf is cooked, pour the syrup straight over so it sinks into the cake and leave to cool inside the tin. Then remove carefully to cool further on a wire rack.
- This is suitable for freezing. Store in an airtight container in a dark, cool place for up to three days.
- Why not try this recipe with oranges or limes instead of lemons?
- This could also work well with almond meal (about 150g) in place of the wholemeal self-raising flour, but you'd need to separate the eggs, beating the yolk through the sugar/lemon zest and whisking the whites into stiff peaks to fold through at the end.
- You may also like this Mango coconut cake. It is full of deliciously fruity flavour.
- If you like apples then you will love this Apple sauce cake. It is a delicious afternoon tea treat.
- It doesn't get simpler than 3 ingredients and if you like it simple then try this 3 ingredient pineapple cake.
- This Banana cake with passionfruit cream is light and airy and made decadent with a passionfruit icing.
- When blackberries are in season you can make this delicious Blackberry shortcake. You will love its buttery goodness.
- This Blueberry buckle cake is packed full of juicy fruit and makes a delicious addition to lunch boxes.
- This recipe was created by Katie Rainbird for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.