Spaghetti with crunchy bits
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 680g jar tomato passata
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 500g packet spaghetti
- 250g bacon rashes, rind removed 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frypan over medium heat, cook bacon rashers until crisp.
Transfer to a plate, then chop. Add another tablespoon olive oil to the frypan and fry breadcrumbs until golden, transfer to plate with bacon. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and cook spaghetti according to packet directions or until al dente.
While the spaghetti is cooking, wipe out the frypan and add a tablespoon of oil, add onion and cook until soft.
Add tomato passata and sugar, season with salt and pepper and leave to simmer.
Drain pasta, return to pot and stir through half the tomato sauce.
Serve pasta in one large serving bowl or individual bowls, spoon more sauce over, sprinkle with bacon, breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- The crispy bacon and breadcrumbs add a fantastic crunch to the sauce.
- Add some fresh basil, oregano or parsley if you have it.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.