Split pea and vegetable soup
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 swede, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 2 cups yellow split peas, rinsed
- 2 tbsp vegetable stock powder
- 6 cups water
Place all ingredients in a large saucepan or stockpot with 6 cups water over high heat. Bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 1½ hours. Stir every 15 mins to ensure the split peas do not burn on the bottom of the saucepan.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you like your soup thick and hearty then this is for you. It is especially good for meat-free Mondays.
- These vegetables are the exact combination you’ll find as readymade soup packs at many greengrocers.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find related soup recipes
- Katie’s chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Pumpkin and coconut soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup