- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled and diced
- 200g pancetta, cut into 1cm-square cubes (or thereabouts)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup pumpkin, cubed
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1/2 savoy cabbage, very finely sliced
- One parmesan rind
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups small maccheroni pasta
- Extra parmesan cheese, grated, to serve
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and pancetta and cook, stirring often, for five minutes.
Add the garlic, carrot, turnip and thyme and cook for a further five minutes, stirring often. Now add the cabbage, parmesan rind, 2 cups of water and the stock and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add the maccheroni and cook for eight minutes or until al dente. Serve soup in bowls with crusty bread, extra parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Curtis Stone's chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie's chicken soup recipe
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe
- Use any vegetables you have handy; potatoes, sweet potatoes, leeks, Jerusalem artichokes are all good too!
- You could also swap the pasta with cooked and drained white beans or other pulses.
- This African-spiced cauliflower soup recipe is exotic and healthy.
- This Cauliflower and leek soup is also made with cauliflower but a lot milder.
- If you have an abundance of onions, this French onion soup recipe is traditionally French and delicious.
- Keeping it simple when you are hungry is a great idea and this Chicken noodle soup is a great tmmy filler.
- This cheaty Tomato soup is as easy as it gets and delicious with toast.
- Another unusual soup is Apple, pumpkin and cheddar soup.
- If chicken soup is your thing then try Chicken dumpling soup, Cream of chicken soup and Easy chicken soup all fit the bill.
- Good old-fashioned comfort food doesn't get better than this Barley and vegetable soup.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.