Summer steak with tomato salad
- 400g rump steak or eye fillet steak
- 4 handfuls of lettuce
- 3 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup good quality egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
If you are using rump steak, place it on a sturdy chopping board or clean bench and give it a good bash. If using eye fillet, cut it into pieces 1-2 cm thick. Heat a non-stick frypan to high heat and cook the steak for about 3 minutes on each side (or as preferred). Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and leave to rest while you assemble the salad.
Arrange lettuce on plates, top with tomatoes and cucumber. Combine mayo and mustard in a small bowl. Trim any fat off steak and slice thinly. Place steak on top of salad, drizzle with any juices and top with mustard mayo.
- As an alternative to the mustard mayo, use horseradish cream or just plain mayonnaise for the kids.
- Eye fillet steak is expensive, but you don’t need kilograms of the stuff. It is also very tender – thin slices are easy for the kids to chew.