Slow cooked chicken and chorizo
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 250g chorizo sausage, thinly sliced (check that it’s gluten-free)
- 750g chicken thighs
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- fresh flat-leafed parsley, chopped to garnish
Trim the yucky bits off the chicken and cut into 3cm pieces.
Heat oil in a non-stick frypan over high heat, add half the chicken, cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Transfer to a plate.
Repeat with remaining chicken and transfer to plate.
Add the chorizo to the pan and cook each side until crisp.
Place onions and garlic in the crock pot, then add chicken, chorizo, tomatoes and paprika.
Now I know it doesn’t look like much liquid, but don’t add anymore or you’ll end up with soup.
Turn the crock pot onto the low setting and let it go for 6-8 hours. No need to stir or take the lid off to check.
At the end of cooking time, sprinkle with parsley and serve with crusty bread.
- If the sauce is too runny, leave the lid off for 30 minutes and let the sauce reduce, or thicken with a tablespoon of cornflour mixed with a tablespoon of cold water.
- If you don’t have one, or can’t borrow one from a relative, use a stock pot or casserole dish.
- Add a cup of chicken stock to the ingredients.
- For the stock pot, brown chicken and chorizo as above, then bring all ingredients to the boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1½ hours or until chicken is tender.
- For the casserole dish, preheat oven to 180°C, cover dish and bake for 1½ hours.
- Thicken sauce if needed (see point above).
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.