Barley and Vegetable Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100 grams carrot, diced
- 400 grams tomatoes, canned
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 110 grams pearl barley
- 4 teaspoons Vegetable Stock Powder
- 1 litre water, to prepare stock
- 100 grams fresh or frozen peas
- 100 grams baby spinach leaves
- 15 grams mixed herbs, such as parsley, basil and oregano, roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan, add the onion and cook, covered over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
Add the carrots, tomatoes, tomato paste, barley and prepared stock.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the peas and simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add the spinach and herbs and simmer for a further 1-2 minutes.
Divide the hot soup between four bowls.
Season with pepper and serve with low GI bread of your choice, if desired.
- Cauliflower risotto
- Hearty vegetable soup
- Marcella’s minestrone
- Creamy penne with cherry tomatoesServing Suggestions