Chilli con carne
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 400g can red kidney beans
Heat oil in a large frypan over high heat and cook onion until soft and golden. Add mince and cook until brown, then add capsicums, diced tomatoes, passata and spices.
Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add beans and simmer until heated through. Add a little water if the chilli is too thick.
Serve with rice or spaghetti.
- Lets be honest, mince dishes are generally unappealing to the eye. I like to brighten them up a bit with some extra greenery or chopped tomato on top. But I will leave that to you and your time and/or inclination!
- For the kids, puree the capsicums and beans so they are not visible. The chilli does not make this dish hot, but add it after you have served the little ones if you prefer.
- This recipe does need some salt, but adjust the amount to suit your taste.
- Leftovers great on toast!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.