Coffee and walnut cake with mocha ganache
- 200g unsalted butter
- 1 cup (160g) brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup strong espresso
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 200g dark chocolate
- 100ml cream
- 30ml espresso
Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced). Grease and line a loaf tin.
Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add flour, baking powder, coffee and milk and beat until just combined. Stir through walnuts.
Pour into prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
To prepare ganache, melt chocolate with cream and espresso over low heat until smooth and glossy. Allow to cool. Pour over cake.
Find more delicious cake recipes:
- Everyday chocolate cake recipe
- Dirt cake recipe
- Orange and polenta cake
- Apple and hazelnut cake recipe
- Chocolate pavlova
- Mars Bar mud cake
- Lemon coconut surprise
- Marble cake
- Orange cake with orange icing
- Chocolate ripple and raspberry cake
- Alternatively, you could replace the espresso in the cake with 2 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water. For the ganache, just add a teaspoon of instant coffee to the cream.
- You could also omit the ganache and serve the cake retro-style, sliced and buttered.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.