Hot milk cake
- 1 1/4 cups (210ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (120g) butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups (340g) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line a large square cake tin.
Place milk and butter in a small saucepan and heat until just boiling and butter has melted. Set aside.
Beat eggs for 5 minutes until fluffy. With beaters running, gradually add sugar and continue beating until pale. Add vanilla, flour and baking powder and mix well. Pour in hot milk mixture and mix until smooth.
Pour into prepared tin and bake for 40-50 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Serve with cream or custard and fresh fruit.
Find related cake recipes
- 3 ingredient pineapple cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter basket chocolate cake
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cake
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing
- You could use a large rectangular baking dish to make a slab cake with this recipe. Note that it will take less time to cook as it won't be as thick.
- This recipe creates a firm cake, so it would be a good choice if you need to shape and carve a themed birthday cake.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.