Roast pumpkin soup
- 2kg butternut pumpkin
- 1 onion peeled and halved
- olive oil for drizzling
- sea salt
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tbsp honey
- sour cream to serve
Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Cut pumpkin in half lengthways. Scoop out seeds. Place pumpkin cut side up and onion on baking tray. Drizzle with oil and salt and bake for 1 hour, or until golden and roasted through.
Once pumpkin has cooled slightly, scoop pumpkin and onion into a saucepan.
Add stock to saucepan. Bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer for 10 minutes.
Puree with a stick blender or by processing small batches in a blender. Stir in cream and honey. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
- I line the baking tray for an easy clean up.
- Tasting and seasoning this soup is really important to the end result.
- This recipe was created by Chantelle Ellem for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Potato and leek soup
- Katie’s chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Pumpkin and coconut soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe