Slow cooker chicken soup
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 4 sticks of celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2L chicken stock
- 1 pkt French onion soup
- 6 chicken thighs whole, trimmed of all fat
Place all the vegetables into the pot in order of list.
Mix French onion soup into the chicken stock and pour over vegetables.
Push chicken thighs under liquid and cook for a minimum of 4 hours on high or 8 hrs on low setting.
Remove chicken from pot and using 2 forks shred the chicken thighs. Return chicken to pot and stir.
- Placing the hard vegetables on the bottom of the pot makes sure they all cook properly.
- Mixing the French onion soup into the stock ensures that the flavour is distributed evenly.
- I used powdered stock to make this recipe to keep it a budget meal. It still packed a punch in the flavour stakes.
- Serve it with crusty bread and stir a generous handful of chopped parsley through it before serving.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.