Slow cooker beef with red wine shallot gravy
- 1 kg blade steak, diced
- 6-7 shallots, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thickly
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp gravy powder
In a slow cooker add steak, shallots, carrots, celery, wine, stock, bay leaf and tomato paste.
Stir well, put the lid on the slow cooker and turn on to medium setting. Leave to cook for 3 hours.
After 3 hours, sprinkle gravy powder over the top of the beef and stir through. Turn slow cooker setting to low and allow to cook for a further hour.
Serve with mashed potato and beans or rice.
- This sends an amazing aroma throughout your house when it cooks. It may make you hungry!
- Try to resist taking the lid off your slow cooker whilst this bubbles away, it will prolong cooking time and affect the result.
- You can prolong the cooking time if you wish by using the low setting on your slow cooker for the duration of this recipe. This will add one hour to the total cooking time.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.