Try this Bert sandwich and Elmo accompaniment as a yummy addition to any kid’s lunch box. A sandwich that’s full of healthy veggies and looks like one of their favourite TV characters? It’ll be gone by recess!
- filling of choice
- 2 slices wholemeal bread with side crusts removed
- 1 slice white bread cut into 2 x 3cm circles (for the ears)
- salty seaweed for hair and eyebrow (cut with scissors)
- 1 sliced disc of carrot (for the nose)
- 1 slice of ham or salami with a section cut off (for the mouth)
- half a tomato
- 4 x 1.5cm circles cut from cheese slices (for eyes)
- 2 x raisins, halved (for the pupils)
- 1 sliced triangle of carrot (for the nose)
- a “C” shape cut out of cucumber (for the mouth)
Spread your filling of choice onto the round white bread disc and place the second on top.
Cut the circles in half to form the 2 ears.
Spread your filling onto one of the wholemeal slices and place the second on top.
Using cream cheese, glue the features onto Bert’s face.
Halve a tomato (with base cut so that it sits flat) and place cheese discs with raisins for eyes, a triangle of carrot for the nose and a stamped ‘C’ shape out of cucumber for the mouth.
- Use a favourite filling such as tuna and cream cheese, chicken and mayo or ham and cheese.
- Use wholegrain breads with seeds to give an extra vitamin hit.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot Australia by Rebecca Perry for GLAD.