Lemon yoghurt cake
- 185g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup firmly packed soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp lemon essence
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- lemon slices coked in sugar syrup to decorate (optional)
Preheat the oven to 190C or 170C fan-forced. Grease a 23cm round cake tin and line with baking paper.
Cream the butter, caster sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the brown sugar and lemon essence. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, and continue to beat for 3-4 minutes.
Sift the flour, salt and spice together into a bowl.
Fold the flour mixture and yoghurt alternately into the butter mixture. Pour into the prepared tin.
Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool in tin for 3 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Decorate with lemon zest if desired.
Find more cake recipes
- Pineapple and carrot cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter bunny biscuits
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cupcakes
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing
- Even my dad, who thinks spices and yoghurt have no business anywhere near a cake, loves this recipe. It tastes superb served with yoghurt, too.
- Because it uses yoghurt, I like to think of it as almost healthy.