Mars bar mud cake
- 4 x 55g Mars Bars or 1 pkt (216g) bite-sized Mars Bars, chopped
- 180g butter
- 2 tbsp whisky
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 2/3 cups self-raising flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Line a 22cm round cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
Combine the chopped Mars Bars, butter, whisky, sugar and 1½ cups water in a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring until the are melted and combined. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 3-4 minutes.
Sift together the flour and cocoa in a separate bowl.
Quickly whisk the eggs and vanilla into the slightly cooled Mars Bar mixture. When combined, add the flour and cocoa and whisk until well mixed.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 mins.
- The special flavour of this cake depends on the whisky so I don’t recommend substituting or omitting it.
- No need to plug in the electric mixer for this recipe – a whisk or even simply a wooden spoon will do the trick.
- If you are serving this to adults only, you could use a chocolate buttercream icing with a splash of whiskey in it to highlight the flavour. For special occasions you can sprinkle extra chopped Mars Bars on top.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find more chocolate baking recipes