Paprika and tomato pilaf
- 40ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp smoky paprika
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan (with a lid). Add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
Test a piece of rice at this point; if it is cooked through with just the slightest crunch then take the pot off the heat. If the rice still tastes uncooked give it another 5-10 minutes.
Once off the heat, remove the lid and lay a clean tea towel over the pot, replace lid and leave like this for 10 minutes. This will help absorb any excess moisture.
Serve with a piece of lemon on the side and maybe a dollop of natural yoghurt.
Related rice recipes
- Chicken fried rice
- Chicken risotto
- One pan paella
- Pumpkin risotto
- Tuna and rice casserole
- Incy mincy fried rice
- Creamed rice with spiced apples
- Easy paella
- Chorizo fried rice
- Chicken jambalaya
- Keep the heat low as this rice simmers.
- It cooks via the absorption method and cannot be rushed.
- You can get this rice cooking and then continue with the rest of the meal as it hums away in the background.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.