Pork and mango noodle salad
- 75g dry rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 cups (150g) iceberg or cos lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup (70g) wombok, shredded
- 1 cup (70g) gai lan, bok choy or pak choy, shredded
- 1 cup (50g) coriander leaves
- 1 large mango, peeled, de-seeded and flesh finely sliced
- 1/2 long red chilli, finely sliced (de-seeded to remove heat)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- oil spray
- 400g lean pork mince
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
Place dried noodles in a medium size bowl and cover with boiling water. Pop a lid on the top and leave for 10 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside to cool. Once cooled, toss with lettuce, wombok, gai lan, corriander, mango and chilli, then set aside
Combine soy sauce, lemon/lime juice and caster sugar and sesame oil together in a jar, and give a good shake. Set aside.
Heat a wok or non-stick frying pan to high, spray with oil and add pork mince, garlic and ginger.
Cook, breaking up mince as you go, for 8 minutes or until pork is cooked through.
Toss pork through lettuce and veggies and pour over dressing mixture.
Serve in bowls and eat immediately.
- If you can’t get gai lan, bok choy or pak choy, you can use shredded spinach. And, if you can’t find wombok, just use white cabbage.
- Feel free to swap the pork for lean chicken mince or breast – or tofu for a vegetarian option.
- If you love exotic salads, this Warm chicken, avocado and mango salad will really hit the spot.
- Looking for a hearty vegetarian salad? Give this Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad a go – it's totally yum!
- This Crunchy quinoa salad is packed full of fresh vegetables and herbs. Just the thing if you're trying to eat healthy.
- For a lovely Asian-inspired dish, try this Thai beef salad with noodles. It will be a winner with the kids too.
- Entertaining guests? This Pan-fried lamb salad with tzatziki is suitably impressive, and tastes divine.
- This Simple potato salad is great for weekend BBQs or picnics.
- Rice-lovers will really enjoy this Raisin and walnut brown rice salad, it tastes as healthy as it looks.
- Spoil yourself with this delish Caesar salad , jam-packed with crunchy croutons, cripsy bacon and a dressing to-die-for!
- Cook this Lemon calamari salad in 2 minutes, and you'll never look back. It's a taste sensation.
- For a traditional salad that will always appeal, you can't go past a fresh Italian Caprese salad.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie.