Thai-style prawn coconut soup
- 500g green (raw) prawns
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 stick lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tins (2 x 400ml) coconut milk
- 2 lime leaves
- 2 limes, juice
- 300g button mushrooms, quartered
- coriander, to serve
Remove heads from prawns and carefully peel shells, leaving tails intact. Cut a slit down the length of the back and remove the vein. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and lemongrass and cook for 1 minute. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for a further minute. Pour in chicken stock, fish sauce and brown sugar. Add coconut milk and bring to the boil, stirring well. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
Add prawns and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add lime juice. Taste soup and adjust seasonings if required by adding more sugar, fish sauce or lime juice.
Serve in large bowls topped with coriander leaves.
- While prawns are delicious in this soup, you could add some finely sliced chicken breast instead if you prefer.
- For a spicier soup, increase the amount of red curry paste.
- Healthy Thai fishcakes are another great Thai entree. These are made with firm white fish fillets.
- Chicken thigh fillets are used in these Chicken satay skewers. They have a delicious peanut sauce.
- Pad Thai is another delicious traditional Thai dish. Made with white rice noodles, it is nutritious and filling.
- This Healthy Thai chicken curry is low on the fat and big on flavour.
- You can feel better soon with this Thai chicken soup. It's packed full of traditional spices.
- If you want the extra antibiotic benefit from garlic, then go with Thai lentil and garlic soup.
- If you have lots of golden pumpkin then this Thai pumpkin soup is delicious.
- If you need something more substantial than a soup then try this Thai chicken curry for dinner.
- This Thai beef salad with noodles is healthy, high in iron and packed with flavour.
- You can also make this this Chicken,mango and coriander salad if salad is your preference.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red