Fancy fish fingers
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parmesan, finely grated
- 4 firm white fish fillets, sliced into fingers (all bones removed with tweezers)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- tomato chutney or capsicum jam, to serve
In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk lightly. Mix together the breadcrumbs and parmesan and place on a plate.
Dip the fish fingers into the eggs and milk combination then dredge into the crumbs and parmesan. Place all the fingers onto a plate and bring a large non-stick frying pan to a low to medium heat, then add oil.
Fry the fingers gently in batches in the oil until golden on all sides.
Remove the fingers when cooked and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
Serve immediately with chutney or capsicum jam.
- When cooking the fish fingers, be sure that all sides of the fingers are cooked as it’s easy to miss a side.
- These are really nice with the lovely added cheesy flavour.
- Fresh fish is always better – try to avoid buying fish that is frozen or has previously been frozen as it will start to collapse during cooking and the excess moisture that comes out of frozen fish may make the breadcrumbs soggy.
- This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.