Granola trifle with stewed apples
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 500 g apple (peeled, cored, diced)
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 kg vanilla yoghurt
- 270 ml coconut milk
Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced) and line a cookie tray with baking paper.
Bring honey and butter to a gentle simmer in a large saucepan then remove from heat and stir through oats to coat.
Transfer to the cookie tray and spread out as much as you can. Bake for 25 minutes.
Give the saucepan a quick wipe with some paper towel, add apple pieces then sprinkle over sugar and add 2 tbs of water. Bring to a gentle sizzle.
Add vanilla, the rest of the water and cinnamon. Leave to bubble and break down, (adding more water if needed). This will take about 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and set aside. By this stage the granola should be ready – remove from oven and set aside to cool.
For the coconut yoghurt, mix yoghurt and coconut milk at a ratio of 1:1, allowing at least 6 tbsp per serve.
Using parfait glasses or mini mason jars, layer 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt, 3 tbsp granola, 2 tbsp stewed apple and repeat until you reach the top. Finish with yoghurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Serve immediately.
Find related breakfast recipes
- Banana and honey porridge
- Basic pancakes
- Cheese breakfast omelette
- Spicy Spanish eggs
- Breakfast burritos
- Slow cooker bacon baked beans
- Baked cinnamon apple porridge
- Use a whisk to make the coconut yoghurt. This way, you’ll get a really smooth consistency.
- These can be made ahead of time however the consistency will be more Bircher muesli style. But this is still yummy!
- This recipe was created by Katie Rainbird for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.