Healthy Mexican chicken soup
- 6 cups (1.5L) stock
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, finely sliced or minced
- 2 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 500g skinless chicken breasts, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup red kidney beans (140g), drained and rinsed
- 1 corn cob, kernels removed
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 small red capsicum, finely sliced
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
In a large saucepan add stock, garlic, celery, cumin and paprika.
Bring to a simmer and add chicken breast, kidney beans and corn kernels.
Bring back to a simmer for 1-2 minutes before adding carrot and capsicum.
Simmer for a minute to soften vegetables.
Serve in big bowls topped with avocado and coriander leaves.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Potato and leek soup
- Curtis Stone's chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie's chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Homemade chicken soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe
- To remove kernels from corn cobs, hold cobs firmly in a vertical position on a board and slice down as close to the cob as you can get with a sharp knife. The kernels will come straight off.
- If you’re chilli eaters, feel free to add chilli powder or chopped chillies at the beginning to flavour the soup base.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.