Homemade KFC burgers
- 2 large chicken breast fillets (about 600g)
- ½ cup plain flour (use Gluten-free)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 3 rashers bacon, rind removed
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 small tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 bread rolls (use Gluten-free)
Slice chicken breasts in half lengthways, then cut each piece in two. Put the flour on a large square of baking paper, the eggs in a small bowl and the cornflake crumbs on another square of baking paper. Coat the chicken pieces in flour, dust off, dip in egg wash and then coat in cornflake crumbs (throw away the mess just by screwing up the paper!). Place the coated chicken pieces onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Heat a non-stick frypan over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until crisp and brown, about 5 minutes. Keep warm in oven.
Preheat oven to 180°C and bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Slice bread rolls, spread each with mayo, top with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and bacon. Place one or two chicken pieces on the rest of the filling and lastly the roll top. Serve immediately.
- A cheeky title, but this does recreate my favourite bacon and cheese burger, without all the deep-frying. Omit the bacon to speed up preparation.
- I make these gluten-free by using cornflour and gluten-free cornflake crumbs to coat the chicken and gluten-free bread instead of the roll.
- Make your own secret herbs and spices by adding your favourites to the cornflake crumbs. Try parmesan cheese, lemon rind, parsley, sage, oregano, cumin, chilli powder or paprika.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.