Homemade sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup skim milk powder
- 2/3 sugar
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/3 cup water (hot)
In a bowl combine the milk powder and sugar.
In a cup, stir the butter into the hot water until the butter is melted.
Pour the water into the dry mixture.
Using a mixer, beat until the mixture is smooth. Cool and use.
Find more sweet recipes
- Coconut ice
- Toffee apples
- Marbled chocolates
- Big freckles
- Chocolate truffles
- Melissa’s Rocky Road
- Caramel fudge
- You will need to use this sweetened condensed milk as soon as possible as it doesn’t store very well.
- If the consistency is a little runnier than you expected give the mixture some time to cool as it thickens as it cools.
- We used full cream milk powder but you can also use skim milk powder.
- If you don’t have any butter them you can use table margarine as a substitute.
- If you are allergic to dairy then you may replace the full cream milk powder with soy milk powder in the same quantities.
- This is a great budget recipe as it works out significantly cheaper than tinned sweetened condensed milk.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.