- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Iced bunny biscuits
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a mixing bowl and set aside.
Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and continue to beat until well combined.
Add the flour mixture and mix together until thoroughly combined.
Turn the dough out onto your bench and roll into a large ball. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until the dough is firm enough to roll (at least one hour).
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
Remove the chilled dough from the fridge and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 0.5cm. Cut shapes in the dough and place on baking tray.
Bake for 8-10 minutes depending on the size of the biscuits. Just as they are going brown round the edges, remove from the oven and allow to completely cool before icing.
To make the royal icing, combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and add desired food colouring, Use immediately.
- Be careful when adding food colouring to icing. Start with a drop or two and see what colour you get before adding more.
- Don’t make the royal icing until the moment you need it and this type of icing will set hard and it will begin to set the moment you make it.
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.