- 5-6 medium potatoes
- 2 large brown onions
- canola spray
- 15-20 flat anchovy fillets, drained
- 1 cup (250ml) pouring cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- freshly ground black pepper to serve.
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
Peel and slice the potatoes into long thin strips, then place them in cold water for 20 minutes, drain and pat dry.
Slice the onions thinly.
Spray a 20cm x 30cm casserole dish with canola spray.
Layer the potatoes, onion and anchovies in the dish, starting with potatoes.
Evenly pour the cream and add the butter, bread crumbs and pepper over the mix.
Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, and the liquid is nearly absorbed.
Find more Christmas recipes:
- Christmas-style coleslaw
- Christmas burgers with the lot
- Easy Christmas turkey
- Simple Christmas terrine
- Glazed baked ham
- Cranberry, prosciutto and pistacho stuffing
- Christmas tree biscuits
- Christmas pastry wreaths
- Sneaky mini Christmas puddings
- Easy Christmas pudding ice-cream
- Christmas cookies
- Christmas cupcakes with butter frosting
- Boiled Christmas pudding with brandy custard
- Mars Bar Christmas crackles
- Christmas fruit platter
- Christmas gingerbread families
- Light Christmas cake
- Easy Christmas jellies
- Spiced Christmas muffins
- Traditional panforte
- White Christmas crackles
- White Christmas slice
- Place sliced potatoes into cold water so they don't discolour and the starch washes out.
- You will need to keep an eye on this potato casserole in the oven as the breadcrumbs can brown very quickly. If they look like they may burn before cooking is finished, you can place some foil over the top to protect them.
- The anchovies in this recipe are very salty so do not be tempted to salt this dish.
- You can use fresh or dried breadcrumbs for this recipe.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.