Love heart French toast
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- Handful of fresh raspberries
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
In a small mixing bowl combine the egg and milk.
Use the cookie cutter to cut shapes out of the slices of bread.
Heat a frying pan on a medium heat and melt a small nob of butter. Swirl the butter to coat the base of the frying pan.
Dredge the bread hearts through the egg and milk mixture so both side are covered and then place immediately into the hot frying pan.
Cook until golden brown on one side and then use a spatula to turn the hearts over. Cook for another one minute.
Place on a plate and scatter the raspberries over the hearts and then dust generously with icing sugar. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is for one person – me! If you do have to make it for the whole family, it’s probably more economical with the bread if you skip the cookie cutter part as you’ll end up throwing a heap of bread away if you try to cut shapes for everyone in the family.
- Any berries will do in the recipe – I just like the slight tartness of raspberries against the icing sugar sweetness and the creamy texture of the French toast. I also cheated a little by using frozen raspberries… I just let them thaw out before I began cooking.
- Maple syrup is another condiment that goes fantastically well with French toast – along with a scattering of blueberries. Delish!
- The recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find related breakfast recipes
- Banana and honey porridge
- Basic pancakes
- Bull’s eye egg
- Fluffy cheese omelette
- Breakfast burritos
- Baked cinnamon apple porridge
- Almond pancakes
- Bacon and egg muffins
- Lemon butter