Sausage, white bean and fennel hot pot
- 4 sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 red onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 x tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup cannellini beans, soaked and cooked until tender
Slice the sausages into discs about 2cm thick, heat the olive oil in a heavy-based casserole dish and brown the sausages in batches.
Add the fennel seeds and cook until fragrant, reduce heat to medium, add a little more olive oil if necessary and cook the onions with the fennel seeds for about five minutes, or until soft.
Add the garlic and cook for another few minutes. Pour in the wine and allow to reduce by about half. Then pour in the tomatoes and stir through the beans.
Top up with a little water – there should be enough liquid to just cover the whole lot. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently for about 40 minutes. Serve with lots of chopped parsley and some great bread.
Find related casserole recipes
- Beef casserole with a hint of sweet
- Chicken and bacon casserole
- Easy beef casserole
- Easy chicken casserole
- Favourite lamb casserole
- Pom pom chicken casserole
- You can use Italian sausages, lamb or even venison sausages for this recipe.
- If you are in a hurry, swap tinned cannellini beans for dried.
- A good quality sourdough bread is a great match for this.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.