Chicken and mushroom carbonara
- 300g penne, cooked al dente (reserve some cooking water from the pasta)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup (250ml) thickened cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 500g chicken breast, cut into 2cm pieces
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 3 shallots (green onions), sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper
In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, parmesan cheese and cream and set aside.
In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and butter together and fry the chicken pieces until golden.
Add the mushrooms, shallots and garlic to the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low and pour in the egg mixture and stir constantly, adding a ladle or two of pasta water to thin the sauce.
Add the pasta to the pan and toss until well coated. Then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Don’t forget to reserve the cooking water to thin the sauce. This is important.
- You need to work quickly when making the sauce so you don’t end up with scrambled eggs. Make sure that you have everything ready before you start making the sauce.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.